Useful links on learning & training opportunities
The following list of links provides a quick reference guide and some useful tips to JPOs, who are
also invited to seek further guidance in this section as well as explore the web.
In the 2013 Client Satisfaction Survey, JPOs were asked which training
they funded with their DTTA. Please click here for the results table.
United Nations University - short-duration training courses and
United Nations System Staff College
- The UNSSC is an institution for system-wide knowledge management, training and continuous learning for the staff of the United Nations system.
- Active Learning Network for Accountability
and Performance in Humanitarian Action (ALNAP) -
sectorwide active-learning membership network, is dedicated to improving the quality and
accountability of humanitarian action, by sharing lessons; identifying common problems; and where
appropriate, building consensus on approaches.
- Centre for Intercultural Learning -
Canada's largest provider of cross-cultural and international training services for internationally-assigned government and private sector personnel.
Initiative - (very comprehensive list of events and seminars)
The Communication Initiative is a partnership of development organisations
seeking to support advances in the effectiveness and scale of communication
interventions for positive international development.
- Development Gateway - website sponsored by the World Bank and international non-profit organization with the mission to reduce poverty and enable change in developing nations through information technology.
- The Duke Center for International Development (DCID) is an interdisciplinary training, advisory, and research unit offering masters degree and executive education programs in International Development Policy with emphasis on Applied Economics, Development Management, Environmental and Social Policies and their application to developing and transition countries. The Duke Center for International Development is a part of the Sanford School of Public Policy located at Duke University.
ILO International Training Centre
- The Centre is the training arm of the International Labour Organization (ILO), a United Nations agency entrusted with promoting social justice, including internationally recognized human rights and labour standards.
- IMA International provides training and Consultancy for Development, courses in Project Management, People Skills and M&E around the world
(International NGO Training and Research Centre) provides courses
on issues around strengthening civil society and Institutional Development,
Organisational Capacity Building and Programme Development.
- Oslo Governance Centre - new Training Referral Service to identify training providers.
- RIPA International - Trainings
in the key areas of public sector reform, project management, change management, good governance
and organisational development.
- Language courses - online languages courses are available on the following links:
- SETYM International - leading professional training and consulting company, SETYM is a Project Management Institute (PMI) Registered Education Provider offering project management training solutions to public sector managers.
- Typing courses - free online typing courses can be found at www.typing-lessons.org or www.goodtyping.com.
Democratic Governance and Human Rights
- The Danish Institute for Human Rights offers a number of short courses on annual basis on topics within the human rights field.
For further information and access to the course calendar...
- The Centre for Human
Rights, University of Pretoria, is offering a number of advanced
short courses on annual basis on topics within the human rights field.
They are very interested in participants from the UN system. Courses
will generally be of two weeks in duration. Some money for scholarships
is available, in particular for participants from inside South Africa.
For further information, please visit their website
or contact Dr. Heyns.
- The Hague Academy for Local Governance is a new institute that works in close cooperation with the Dutch Association of Municipalities and the City of The Hague, organising training programmes for professionals that work on decentralisation processes and strengthening local governance worldwide.
For more information: www.thehagueacademy.com
- Human Rights Education
Associates (HREA) organises short, specialised courses via distance
education for human rights advocates and development professionals.
For more information
on the courses: http://www.hrea.org/courses/index.html
- Since 1996, the International Human Rights Network has worked to promote organisational learning from development and field experience by those mandating, funding or deploying such missions - whether inter-governmental organisations or states.
- The Raoul Wallenberg
Institute in Lund, Sweden, conducted a Regional Advanced Programme
on Human Rights: http://www.rwi.lu.se
- The Georgia
State University offers a Summer course on Fiscal Decentralization and Local Governance.
- The Duke Center for International Development will conduct programmes on: Project Appraisal and Risk Management, Fiscal Decentralization and Local Government Financial Management, Tax Analysis and Revenue Forecasting, and Budgeting and Financial Management in the Public Sector at Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, USA, in Summer between May and August.
For more information on these 3-4 weeks training programmes...
The University of Oxford runs an International Human Rights Law Summer School. Each year the programme assembles an internationally recognised faculty offering courses on the practice, history, philosophy and doctrine of international human rights law. The programme offers an introductory course on the fundamentals of international human rights law and afternoon electives that address important contemporary issues in the field (see seminar options). In addition to these core courses, the programme includes a lecture series by some of the leading authorities and actors in the field of international human rights law.
Crisis Prevention and Recovery
Energy and Environment
- Environmental Leadership Programme -
Centre for Sustainable Resource Development (CSRD) of the College of Natural Resources, University of California;
- ConservationTraining is an online course system focused on conservation-based training, created and maintained by The Nature Conservancy in partnership with other conservation organizations.
Gender Empowerment and Status of Women
HIV and AIDS
UN Cares - The UN System-wide Workplace Programme on HIV. Its website provides extensive information, including a directory of resources, the UN Cares Services Directory for HIV, a Test your Knowledge section, Educational Videos and Free Online Courses.
- International Diploma in Humanitarian Assistance (IDHA)
The University of Copenhagen, Denmark, now offers a Master's programme in HIV - the first of its kind in the world. This one-year flexible degree programme is for all those with a clinical, public health, or organisational management interest in HIV prevention, treatment and care.
Courses will include: Research Methodology; Epidemiology, HIV Treatment and Care; Sexual and Reproductive Health; and Policy and Organisational Management. Additionally there will be practical experience in the laboratory and clinical site visits.
Postgraduate short courses are also available for week-long focused courses in HIV Epidemiology, Policy, Treatment and care, and Virology.
The University of Copenhagen also offers an advanced intensive 5-week course in HIV-related diseases and treatment aimed at health professionals working in the field of HIV/AIDS. Participants completing the course will be able to work across sectors and in different geographical, social and cultural settings at an expert level.
For more information about admission criteria and how to apply, please visit www.mhiv.ku.dk or email:email@example.com .